Student Job Opportunities
Graduate Assistantship Appointment
The Roper Center for Public Opinion Research has one Graduate Assistantship available for the 2018-19 academic year. Pre- and post-A Exam doctoral candidates matriculated at Cornell University are eligible to apply. Applicants should have experience working with public opinion data. Dissertation research that relates to the study of public opinion is preferred.
Graduate Assistants (GAs) at the Roper Center contribute to the field of public opinion research, public policy formation, and scholarly collaboration and advancement by supporting the rigorous standards for research data inclusion and dissemination employed by the Center. GAs play an instrumental role in the preparation and processing of archived data. Working directly with the Director of Data Operations and Data Communications, GAs assist with the preparation of new data received from a variety of public opinion sources and the processing of older data requested by the user community.
Duties will most likely include:
- Cleaning and harmonizing data
- Writing syntax to read and translate ASCII data files
- Performing basic statistical analyses
- Proofreading data labels
- Participating in other archive-related projects
- Prior research experience using data
- Knowledge of a statistical package, such as SPSS, SAS, R, or STATA
- Conscientious attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent interpersonal skills and independent problem-solving abilities
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Awareness of the purpose and use of metadata
- Prior experience working with a digital data archive or repository
- Experience analyzing public opinion data
- Dissertation research that relates to public opinion
- Spanish language capabilities
The assistantship receives the following:
- Tuition fellowship
- Cornell individual student health insurance
Click here to learn more about Cornell’s GA policies. Questions or applications including a letter of intent listing at least one faculty reference, current CV, and current transcript are due by 5 pm on Friday, March 9 and should be emailed to email@example.com.