Join the Team
Andrew Kohut Fellowship Program in Public Opinion & Survey Research
Cornell graduate students and undergraduate students are encouraged to apply.
The Kohut Fellowship honors the memory of Andrew Kohut and his numerous contributions to the science and art of survey research.
Kohut Fellows will (1) engage in their own original public opinion-focused research project using data from the Roper Center archives; (2) learn about the methods and techniques of survey research and other forms of public opinion research, analysis, and dissemination; and (3) participate in Roper Center supervised projects at a level appropriate to their abilities, training and educational goals (10 hours/week). Kohut Fellows will receive a $4,000 stipend for the summer.
Information about past recipients is available at https://ropercenter.cornell.edu/about-the-center/staff/andrew-kohut-fellowship-program/
Cornell Student Job and Internship Posting #63353 here.
Applications are due Monday, March 2, 2020. Submit your application here.
Applications must include:
(1) A two-page statement of qualifications and purpose which describes the proposed research (collaborative research projects with faculty are acceptable); how the research will be reported at the end of the fellowship (this can include a traditional paper, blog post, data visualization, etc.); relevant skills and experience; and how the fellowship experience will contribute to their career goals
(2) The dates the applicant will be in Ithaca this summer (residency is required)
(3) An up-to-date transcript
(4) Current resume
(5) Letter of reference from a Cornell faculty member who is willing to serve as a mentor
Please send any questions here.
Roper Center Warren J. Mitofsky Public Opinion Graduate Fellowship
Graduate Assistantship Appointment
The Roper Center for Public Opinion Research at Cornell University – the world’s largest public opinion data archive – has one Graduate Assistantship available for the 9-month, 2020-21 academic year. Pre and post A-Exam Doctoral candidates matriculated at Cornell University are eligible to apply. Applicants should have experience working with public opinion data. Dissertation research that relates to the study of public opinion is preferred.
Graduate Assistants (GA) at Roper Center contribute to the field of public opinion research, public policy formation, and scholarly collaboration and advancement by supporting the rigorous standards for research data inclusion and dissemination employed by the Center. GAs play an instrumental role in the preparation and processing of archived data. Working directly with the Director of Data Operations and Data Communications, GAs assist with the preparation of new data received from a variety of public opinion sources and the processing of older data requested by the user community.
Duties will most likely include:
- Cleaning and harmonizing data
- Writing syntax to read and translate ASCII data files
- Performing basic statistical analyses
- Proofreading data labels
- Participating in other archive-related projects
- Prior research experience using data
- Knowledge of a statistical package, such as SPSS, SAS, R, or STATA
- Conscientious attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent interpersonal skills and independent problem-solving abilities
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Awareness of the purpose and use of metadata
- Prior experience working with a digital data archive or repository
- Experience analyzing public opinion data
- Dissertation research that relates to public opinion
- Spanish language capabilities
To apply, email a letter of intent listing at least one faculty reference, current CV, and current transcript by 5 pm on Monday, March 2nd to Kathleen Weldon. Any questions should also be sent to Kathleen.
Quality Assurance Analyst Applications Systems Assistant II - Band E, at the Roper Center for Public Opinion Research. The Center is searching for a Quality Assurance Analyst to support the software development team by creating test material and executing tests on custom internal and external archive software platforms. They will work closely with the development team to ensure quality and help prevent production issues. See the link below for requirements and qualifications.